I didn’t sleep well on Monday night, so when I woke up
Tuesday feeling especially haggard, it was no surprise.
Tuesdays are long days for me with not one, but two language
classes back to back and that afternoon I was supposed to be going out to lunch
and to the market with a colleague/friend.
“A hot shower and an extra cup of coffee should do the
trick,” I thought to myself that morning. But I kept a chill, so I dug through
our stacked trunks to find the thin sweater I had brought as a last minute
thought before coming to live in a tropical climate. The temperature outside
would reach 100 degrees that day, but my body felt otherwise.
I trudged through the language class and tried to nap in the
car on the way to pick up my friend. I was starving from not eating breakfast
but by the time our lunch arrived at the nice restaurant, I had lost my
appetite.
It was at this point that my body began telling me, “Go
home. Go home now!” But my friend needed to go to the big touristy market
downtown to purchase some items she needed for a ministry project she’s working
on, and I didn’t want to let her down. So we went.
Thankfully, she had a couple ibuprofen in her purse that she
gave me and quickly, I was feeling more myself.
When we arrived at the market, she went off in search of her
purchases and I decided to sit on a little bench and wait.
No sooner had I sat down when the beggers and the
knick-knack sellers approached and hovered.
I remembered back to the first time I had visited that
market, I felt a little intimidated by these people, speaking a language I
didn’t understand and not leaving me alone when I said, “No.”
But this go ‘round, I saw it as an opportunity to speak to
these people and practice my language skills.
One dodgy-little man was selling wood-carved, hand-painted,
toy tops. He showed how to make them spin. He said, “for your children.”
I winked at him and said, “I have no children.” He knew I
wasn’t serious and he saw the opportunity for fun.
His next approach he said, “for your husband.”
I replied, “I have no husband.” Even though he pointed to my
wedding band on my ring finger.
Finally seeing no other way around my objections he said,
“No husband, no children. You lonely! You need toy for you!”
He shook with his thunderous belly laugh as he walked away.
After all the vendors made their attempts to sell me their
wares and had walked away, one tiny little girl came and sat beside me on the
bench. Her clothes were dusty and worn, but she had a bright smile. A timid
voice surprised me as she spoke in broken English, “I sell magnet. You buy
magnet?”
“What is your name?” I asked in her language.
She was obviously a little astonished that I could speak in
her native tongue. “Chimmey*,” she said quietly. (*name changed)
“Chimmey, why are you not in school like all the other
boys and girls your age?” I asked.
“I don’t go to school. I work here to sell magnet. You buy
magnet?” she replied.
“How do you speak English so well?” was my next question for
the little girl.
“I am now ten years old. I have been working in this place
since I could walk. I talk to the English speakers who come here and I learn
from them.”
Chimmey and I struck up a conversation that afternoon.
I asked her if she had enough food to eat and if she had a comfortable place to
sleep at night. I asked her if she was happy. She answered, “Yes,” to all my
questions, but the look on her face said otherwise. It was then that I began to
share J.C. with this precious little child.
Ironically, through the whole experience, I didn’t feel sick
at all.
No, I knew that Father had honored my request from earlier
that morning to put someone in my path that I could share with. He always does.
I bought a magnet from Chimmey that day, but even more
than that, I shared with her the road to salvation.
When I finally got home later that day, I collapsed in my
bed completely and utterly exhausted.
Wednesday rolled around to a full-blown sickness. High
fever, body aches, miserable… you get the picture. The Australian doctor we
normally visit was out of town, so I tried treating my symptoms with Tylenol
but by Thursday, I was in such severe pain that CJ decided to take me to an
emergency walk-in type clinic. (It would probably be like going to the emergency
room in the states.)
Thankfully the local doctor working there spoke decent
English and I was in a diagnostic room in no time.
It felt like I was fading in and out of consciousness. By
this time I was wearing a sweatshirt and long sweatpants and had brought a
blanket to wrap around myself.
Pretty quickly he said that I needed an IV of fluids.
I kept thinking “Fluids? Yeah, yeah. Give me something for
pain!” Eventually the nurse produced a couple of pills that I took without even
asking what they were. (I would later learn that it was a fever reducer/pain
reliever type medicine.)
They ran test after test and finally I was admitted to a
room with a bed and a pillow.
I was near the end of my rope by this time. You know how it
is when you feel really awful but you gotta get dressed to go to the doctor,
you have to ride in the car for what seems an insufferable amount of time, and
you have to fill out paperwork and answer questions. You have to be poked and
prodded. You’re hot, but you’re cold and somewhere in the back of your mind
you’re worrying about your children that you left in the waiting room around
the corner.
I was just about ready to faint from all the trauma when the
nurse appeared to set up my IV. I was trying to be still and the room was so
quiet. I was fading, fading…
As the nurse placed the needle in my arm she whispered over
me, “In Jesus’ name.”
“What? What did she say? Did I hear her right? Is that what
she really said?”
I turned to her and mustered all my strength to ask her,
“Are you a Christian?”
She beamed as she replied, “Yes I am, and don’t you worry.
You are in His hands.”
As soon as she left the room, the tears started flowing.
Sobs were pouring out of me.
I know CJ was holding my hand, saying something sweet I’m
sure, but I couldn’t get the nurse out of my head. Somewhere, sometime, someone
like me shared the Truth with that nurse and she believed. Now here she was,
ministering to me.
As I lay in my bed on Friday night trying to write this
story, still a little sick and still completely unsure of what’s wrong with me,
the words of the nurse keep ringing in my head. “Don’t worry. You are in His
hands.”
Sometimes I wonder why the Father has seen fit to bring me
to this country so far away from everything that is comfortable and secure.
Sometimes I think it’s because He wants me to share His good
news with those who have never heard. And He does.
Sometimes I think it’s to remind me that life is but a
vapor, and we should use every minute to bring glory to Him. That’s true too.
But mostly, I think He’s reminding me that no matter where I
am in life and no matter what situation I find myself, I am in His hands.
To be sure, this road has been difficult and challenging.
But there is no place I’d rather be than in the center of His will for my life.
Please keep praying for me until I win the battle against
this mysterious sickness. Would you also please pray for Chimmey that
Father would continue to put people in her path that will share His love?
Finally, I ask that you pray for the nurse at this clinic
who is trying to live her life for Him? I can’t give her name for security
reasons but Father will hear your prayers all the same.
Lifting you and the people you all encounter up!! Thank you for being so willing to be used!
ReplyDelete